Welcome To CameraLoops

Take a moment to join and become a member

Camaro 2016 - ambient temperature error after change IPC

Hato_CzechRep

• Contributors

Hello, I have DTC error B0158 on instrument cluster. Symptom:05 Description: Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit. 

It appeared after I replaced old IPC with new one from 2017 Camaro. Now on media display ambient air temperature is not displayed, there are only two minuses and sometimes correct temperature flashes and disapears. Has anyone idea if there is solution for this?

Thanks a lot

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4268.jpeg

I think that your IPC change have nothing to do with it..
I have experienced ambient temp. reading misbehaving a few times after I've disconnected the main battery (either to charge it up or to do some electrical work) - there were only "--" on screen.

It got back to normal after some time, in one case - after 2-3 days. That's some software glitch with them, most probably.

However, I'm not speaking from a Camaro owner perspective - maybe things are different with it.

• Contributors

It's a long time with "--" displayed 🙂 probably 4 months.  Maybe you are right that it has nothing to do with IPC change. It's weird that correct temperature flashes sometimes... It looks like some wrong connector or sensor? I don't know where is ambient temp sensor located so first have to find.

• Contributors

I found sensor, it seems good. It has resistance somewhere around 4kOhm . On connector was nearly 5V. I cleaned both connectors and the issue is still same. It's odd that it began exactly when I changed instrument cluster and should has nothing incomon with it. But new sensor is cheep, I will try buy new one and will see.

I think manufacturers usually use a 10k thermistors. So these 4k Ohm roughly translates to +45 C?
That's a bit high, depending on where you actually are located, of course.. But still, it shouldn't trigger any faults, as directly under the blazing sun in southern climate, temp readings can reach even +60-70 C, so these sensors and BCM software should be able to handle that.

Anyway, if you have access to TIS, check a troubleshooting guide for ambient air sensor - usually they put a permitted value range for voltage and resistance of electric circuits.

• Contributors

what type of speedometer you have before change it? UDD (4 inch)?

The speedometer yes alter the temperature sensor function, in some cars the sensor is managed by the IPC and in other cases the egine ecu manages the sensor.

99.9% sure you have wrong calibrations in IPC

With your "old" speedo the temperature works?

• Contributors
12 hours ago, Arbe_gtc said:

what type of speedometer you have before change it? UDD (4 inch)?

The speedometer yes alter the temperature sensor function, in some cars the sensor is managed by the IPC and in other cases the egine ecu manages the sensor.

99.9% sure you have wrong calibrations in IPC

With your "old" speedo the temperature works?

yes old type was with small display and separate gauges for fuel tank on the right and coolant temp on the left.  I didn't try connect back old speedo, but this issue occured exactly when I connect the new one speedo.

Is there any way how to calibrate sensor in new IPC?

• Contributors

The first thing you need to check is the wiring diagram of your original speedometer and check if the temperature sensor goes to the instrument panel. And then check the speedometer diagram that you have installed. It may be simply changing 2 pins of the speedometer connector, or you may have to change calibrations of the installed speedometer.

• Contributors

I found that system voltage should be between 9-16 volts. I meassured nearly 5V.

Also B0158 05 is: The instrument cluster detects the sensor signal is less than -40°C (-40°F).

I found wiring diagram where is shown connection of ambient air sensor directly into speedometer.

Now it look like there is bad connection in speedometer connector. Because sometimes the right temperature flashes and disappears.

Definitively I have to check connector on speedometer.

• Contributors
15 hours ago, pupu14 said:

Anyway, if you have access to TIS, check a troubleshooting guide for ambient air sensor - usually they put a permitted value range for voltage and resistance of electric circuits.

I had tried search for TIS but don't know if there is everything in copy I found. Have you some link or copy please?

• Contributors

I had this problem with an ATS.  I changed from a 2015 cluster to the 2016 version.  It seemed the air sensor wiring changed for the base model, but the ATS-V still has the air sensor wired to the IPC.  I changed the calibration in the IPC and now I get a temp reading, but it isn't correct lol.  I need to mess with it more.

• Like 1

• Contributors

@Last_Captain

Thank you! Now I'm waiting for new sensor 13583411 . Anyway I found correct service manual because in older service manual there is mentioned voltage 9-16V instead 5V (which is maybe for Camaro 5gen 😂 [Click and drag to move] )

• Contributors
On 6/19/2024 at 6:22 AM, Last_Captain said:

sounds great, let me know if i can help further.

Hello, yesterday came ambient temp sensor. And I have situation update 🙂 sensor is ok. I learned the temperature is read from sensor at least by two units. ECU and IPC. On ECU are correct values of ambient temp, on IPC don't. 

I tried connect old IPC and there is temp working. It means there must be something wrong or need to do with programming IPC by calibration file? From this I'm newbie so I realy don't know what to do next 😕

• Contributors

Im 99% sure your problem is calibrations of "new" speedometer. Calibration number 8 is refered to the exterior air temperature.

image.png.a9b7e61008c1c20b2df6f717c3ea82c4.png

image.png.4c7d1da543cdd447cb295cab72968d3d.png

Have you the source VIN of the 2017 speedometer? share too the part number of the speedometer

You're going to have to "play" with changing the calibrations, until you find the one that works. And configure the speedometer with your vehicle's options, if you didn't do that.

• Like 1

• Contributors

@Arbe_gtc 

The VIN of the 2017 speedometer was 1G1FJ1R64J0141197 Is the part number one of the numbers in the attached photo?

Regarding the speedometer configuration, yes I would like to, as there are error messages from the rear parking sensors, pedestrian protection and rear axle. And I would like to see the battery status instead of the turbo pressure (I don't have a turbo 🙂 [Click and drag to move] )

I tried to configure the calibration file myself but no luck... can someone do it for me or do I have to learn myself with Troy's tutorial?

IMG_4300.jpeg

• Contributors

try the configuration ecu with the XML of 2016. its very similar to the 2018 (the vin is from 2018)

and your buildrecord

BuildRecord.bld In the XML see the part <ParameterName>P_OAT_SENSOR_PRESENT</ParameterName> maybe changin this you can resolve the temperature issue witout change calibrations. but im not sure

Your vin: 1G1FD1RSXG0142593 Pin 1040
Vin of the UHS: 1G1FJ1R64J0141197 Pin 8517

84064697 - Camaro 2016 UHS.xml 84475209 - Camaro SS 2018 UHS.xml

• Contributors

@Arbe_gtc  I'd tried and nothing happend. Programming ended with success. But nothing changed. Ambient temp is still displaying "--" and other mistakes (pedestrian protection, parking assistent, rear axle) are still there. Log is bellow attached, but I can't read nothing from this, maybe you can? Also I attached XAML and calibration files I used. What do you thing, is this the right way to find solution, or is better to buy tutorial from Troy and learn everything about it making XAML and calibration files?

ProgramLogIPC2018 2.Txt 2018.zip

• Contributors
17 hours ago, Hato_CzechRep said:

@Arbe_gtc  I'd tried and nothing happend. Programming ended with success. But nothing changed. Ambient temp is still displaying "--" and other mistakes (pedestrian protection, parking assistent, rear axle) are still there. Log is bellow attached, but I can't read nothing from this, maybe you can? Also I attached XAML and calibration files I used. What do you thing, is this the right way to find solution, or is better to buy tutorial from Troy and learn everything about it making XAML and calibration files?

ProgramLogIPC2018 2.Txt 962.1 kB · 1 download 2018.zip 328.86 kB · 3 downloads

@Last_Captain Please, maybe you can help me?  If it is important, there are all of my RPO's

VIN: 1G1FD1RSXG0142593

AL0 ATH AT8 AV3 AXJ AYG BTV B34 CJ2 DCP DD8 D80 EF7 FE2 FE9 FJW HRE H0Y I05 I16 JL9 J71 KA1 KB7

KQV KR1 LAL LGX MX0 M5T M97 NP5 NT7 NV9 N10 RTJ  SBF T3S T4F T61 UHS UE1 UG1 UMN UPG UQA UST UVC U2K U77 U80 VK3  VT7 VV4 VY7 V8D WMG WRS XL8 1SZ 2LT 4AA 5A7 6X1 7X1 8GA 9GA 9L3

And if it is possible to switch off  warnings from modules which I don't have and IPC display warning for them: Parking Assist, Side Detection, Pedestrian protection, Rear axle