Welcome To CameraLoops

Take a moment to join and become a member

USA 2011 CADILLAC CTS

Michigan Car

• Contributors

Greetings to all.

I have a driver down in original ECM and need to replace it. Could someone please assist me in the process of writing the VIN and PIN to the used PCM I have for the car using DPS. I have paid this site for lifetime access and am learning a lot for all of your expertise. Thank you in advance. I am just looking to be pointed in the correct direction. I am able to connect to the PCM with DPS with my GM MDI2. I also have SPS subscription for the VIN of the car.

5 minutes ago, Michigan Car said:

Greetings to all.

I have a driver down in original ECM and need to replace it. Could someone please assist me in the process of writing the VIN and PIN to the used PCM I have for the car using DPS. I have paid this site for lifetime access and am learning a lot for all of your expertise. Thank you in advance. I am just looking to be pointed in the correct direction. I am able to connect to the PCM with DPS with my GM MDI2. I also have SPS subscription for the VIN of the car.

What’s the ECM model number? Example E39. 

Use the DPS "Get Controller Info" option to read the VIN and then send me a screenshot of this page in a Private message. 

image.png

• Like 1

• Contributors

So I am still stuck. I have been getting help from Troy which is very appreciated. When I try to write Troy's VIN change file to a used E39 ECM I picked up, I get an error message. I tried it with version 4.44 and 4.48 of DPS. Originally, I had purchased a remanufactured ECM with my correct VIN written into it. But when I tried to use SPS to initiate the Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) learn process that is required when an ECM is replaced, SPS times out and I cannot go further.  So even though the correct VIN is in the reman ECM, the vehicle will not learn the theft release passwords. Anyone have any ideas?

• Contributors
On 3/28/2024 at 2:27 PM, Michigan Car said:

So I am still stuck. I have been getting help from Troy which is very appreciated. When I try to write Troy's VIN change file to a used E39 ECM I picked up, I get an error message. I tried it with version 4.44 and 4.48 of DPS. Originally, I had purchased a remanufactured ECM with my correct VIN written into it. But when I tried to use SPS to initiate the Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) learn process that is required when an ECM is replaced, SPS times out and I cannot go further.  So even though the correct VIN is in the reman ECM, the vehicle will not learn the theft release passwords. Anyone have any ideas?

Post the log if you can.  Also, what MDI are you using?

• Like 1

• Contributors

Hello

I have attached the log. I am using a genuine Bosch MDI2

The "prepare for removal" option is not available. SPS is done by VIN. I paid for 2 years access to programming for the specific VIN of the vehicle. I have tried multiple used ECMs and the "reman" one that has the correct VIN in it. Nothin I do will allow me to perform the VTD learn. I am starting to wonder if I have a BCM problem or a Theft Deterrent Module problem. Or perhaps I just need to buy a brand new ECM.

Thank you all for your ideas!

ProgramLog5.Txt

• Like 1

• Contributors

***UPDATE***

I installed and flashed a brand new OEM ECM and all works fine now. I did not even have to do the VTD relearn. After I flashed the new ECM with SPS, I shut off key for 30 seconds and then it started right up. I for one will never even try a used/reman GM module again. Not worth the time and frustration. 

Again, thank you to all who offered help. I really do appreciate it. 

• Contributors

I have 3 spare ECM for my car. Both is 2nd hand and been programmed without issue and very quick. As well have 2 spare BCM and few other modules. All is depends of preparation. Usually ECM/BCM says is one time programming due Tuning protection, but if you clone them…easy-peasy. 

• Like 1

• Contributors

***UPDATE***
I purchased a brand new OEM ECM and flashed it with SPS and all works perfectly. I didn't even have to do the VTD relearn. This type of thing is not my expertise but from now on I will not even try used or reman GM modules. To me, it is not worth the time, trial-and-error and frustration. I understand that the orignal could have been cloned but I do not know how to do that yet. So out of the 5 different used/reman ECM's I tried, none of them worked even after writing the correct VIN, SPS calibration flashing and doing multiple theft relearns. So frustrating! The "expert" that I bought the reman ECM from off Ebay assured me it was just a matter of doing the key relearn and I woul be up and running. Nope. Did they not know or were they lying? Or did I screw up? LOL. So much of my research says that it should be possible to use the used modules. Maybe I did something wrong. But I can't spend any more time on it. BIG thanks agin to all who tried to help this new guy!

• Contributors
On 3/29/2024 at 2:07 PM, BLKATSG said:

I have found doing a full sps write or sometimes a DPS full write, the doing the VIN change with DPS sometimes allows it to work.  I haven't figured out the issue.  (this is using a bench harness)

I bought an E88 ECM from the US for my Astra K (since they are the same) and I was able to program it for my car without a problem. I changed the PIN and VIN and with SPS programmed perfectly with my calibrations.

Yes, it is true that I have an E80 for testing, and with DPS I had problems when trying to change the VIN, but if I programmed it with SPS, and then changed the VIN with DPS, it was changed without a problem. I haven't done much research into the reason for this behavior either. But knowing that if you do an SPS and then with the DPS file and it changes, then perfect.

I still have to pair the E88 with my keys, which I haven't done to check if it works, but I think it should work.