Welcome To CameraLoops

Take a moment to join and become a member

Activating heated seats in a Bolt EV

Crocodile

Go to solution Solved by Crocodile,

Hi, I'm new here. I've used SPS for years, but just discovered this site yesterday. I have installed OEM front heated seats in my 2021 Bolt EV and laid the additional wiring according to the factory diagrams. Ran the LIN bus wire to the BCM pin as well. The heated seat switches (not displayed on my car) are supposed to be on the infotainment screen. At this point I realized that I am stuck, as I can't simply reprogram the BCM to activate the option, and programming with a wrong VIN will upset the odometer and who knows what else. I do not know for sure which module is responsible for displaying the heated seats switches, I assume it's the BCM.
What if I buy the SPS for the VIN that had heated seats, try to copy calibration files from the cache, and then load into the DPS and edit the VIN. Will that work, and which products from @Troydo I need to buy?

I have a GM MDI China clone.

Thanks!

2023-11-28 13.37.18.jpg

• Contributors

Do you have the SPS files for both VIN's?  If not, can you share the VIN of the vehicle and if you already have a VIN for a vehicle with heated seats and I can see if I can build you a DPS package that won't switch the VIN.  If it's Global B though, that might tough...  I *thought* these were still A.

• Contributors
1 hour ago, Crocodile said:

I do not have the SPS files.
The vehicle is a Global A.

Heated seats VIN 1G1FY6S03M4105237.

Recipient VIN ends in 0M4109519 (the first 8 are the same, trying to avoid making it googlable).

I'll see if I can grab them for you

• Contributors
2 hours ago, Crocodile said:

Recipient VIN ends in 0M4109519 (the first 8 are the same, trying to avoid making it googlable).

image.png.db02ad612ad40c88c6f43dcd6d82c82a.png

*Might* be an easy one, I'll throw you a package together and we'll find out.

• Like 1

• Contributors
3 hours ago, Crocodile said:

1G1FY6S03M4105237-2021-Chevy-Bolt-BCM-HS.zip1G1FY6S03M4105237-2021-Chevy-Bolt-BCM-Factory.zip

Do NOT rename (especially multiple downloads, browsers like to add (1) ) or unextract the files (unless you want to look at them). 

Key on, Engine off.  Go into DPS Programming, pins 6 & 14, Select cal (pick the zip file you want - Factory or Heated Seats), then Program.  You might get an error, actually I expect you will (due to not entering an unlock code) but it should be at the end of the script.  Feel free to attach the log file here if so but unless you have a comms error or similar, it should make it close to the end.

This one does come with a warning as well, see attached.

image.png.00ca4c2f4670c51b46c8aab6e4ef736e.png

image.png.38a030eb30477b81b187831f0f8de50d.png

3 minutes ago, codebuilder said:

1G1FY6S03M4105237-2021-Chevy-Bolt-BCM-HS.zip 877.88 kB · 0 downloads 1G1FY6S03M4105237-2021-Chevy-Bolt-BCM-Factory.zip 877.88 kB · 0 downloads

Do NOT rename (especially multiple downloads, browsers like to add (1) ) or unextract the files (unless you want to look at them). 

Key on, Engine off.  Go into DPS Programming, pins 6 & 14, Select cal (pick the zip file you want - Factory or Heated Seats), then Program.  You might get an error, actually I expect you will (due to not entering an unlock code) but it should be at the end of the script.  Feel free to attach the log file here if so but unless you have a comms error or similar, it should make it close to the end.

This one does come with a warning as well, see attached.

image.png.00ca4c2f4670c51b46c8aab6e4ef736e.png

image.png.38a030eb30477b81b187831f0f8de50d.png

Thanks!
One question: My vehicle VIN (where heated seats are being transplanted into) is 0M4109519, and filename has the other VIN, are you sure you got that right?

• Contributors
3 minutes ago, Crocodile said:

Thanks!
One question: My vehicle VIN (where heated seats are being transplanted into) is 0M4109519, and filename has the other VIN, are you sure you got that right?

I should add that, in DPS it doesn't work the same...  but before you program, do a Get Controller Info, make sure your VIN shows and hit ok.  When you do the read, the ECU ID is 40.

But basically, I took your VIN calibrations and just dropped the powertrain control in.  If you get something that acts different, we can do a process of elimination and see if we can find the exact flags that control just the heated seats.  There's not too many changes thankfully on this one.  It may have had another feature that you don't have though (TPMS for example).

image.png.8ea1185586961f4f2193009c92ff10fa.png

I have now restored the car back to running order by reprogramming the BCM with its original VIN using SPS.

I checked the calibrations for the K33 - HVAC Control Module and there is one digit difference in the software as well. Should I try reprogramming that module perhaps?

• Contributors

It's nothing to do with the VIN's, you'll see there's not a spec of your VIN in any of those.  It's not accepting the calibration number.  Let me try to build you another one, I've had to do this with an IPC before.

• Contributors
59 minutes ago, Crocodile said:

So I decided to run GDS to see the codes, and it thinks my Bolt is a Camaro now, with a bunch of questions.

When I do "Get Controller info", ECU ID = 40, Read Info - Correct VIN shows up.

All I see is "Padding Errors" in the log.

image.png.c608fdfce6b91bbe6728a92f3f9c5748.pngimage.png.0bc996a26f1488c07246754162904038.pngimage.png.87a72f9c412a0e9b49314aa068b68716.pngwhli

Did you manually pick Camaro at anytime?  If you look at the screenshot, it shows your VIN but the vehicle selected is Camaro...  GDS2 would never pick Camaro on it's own, it bases off of the VIN unless a user overrode it at one point (I do this all of the time for other tests - newer modules on my truck, etc).

• Contributors

I did make a mistake though, I read the calibration VIN's backwards that you wrote...  I'll make you two new files here in a sec but I'm going to do the other trick for the HS one.  So what you wrote earlier, yes I did mix up the VINs but that would have never programmed a VIN.  Hopefully that makes sense lol.  I'll get you a new build here in a sec.

5 minutes ago, codebuilder said:

Did you manually pick Camaro at anytime?  If you look at the screenshot, it shows your VIN but the vehicle selected is Camaro...  GDS2 would never pick Camaro on it's own, it bases off of the VIN unless a user overrode it at one point (I do this all of the time for other tests - newer modules on my truck, etc).

No, I never chose the Camaro. So that was weird.

Another module that might need reprogrammed is the A11 Radio. It has 3 different calibration part numbers, and that might be the displaying/hiding the seat heat buttons. Shall we try that one?

• Contributors

Here, these ones are for your VIN.  In fact, actually, that "factory" one I've sent you earlier, should have technically enabled heated seats (should have done the same) lol.  But try these.  I did mix the VINs up, this is your absolute factory for your vehicle, then I flipped the powertrain calibration to the options of the heated seats one.  See if this works.  

1G1FY6S00M4109519 -2021-Chevy-Bolt-BCM-Factory.zip 1G1FY6S00M4109519 -2021-Chevy-Bolt-BCM-HS.zip

• Contributors
Just now, Crocodile said:

No, I never chose the Camaro. So that was weird.

Another module that might need reprogrammed is the A11 Radio. It has 3 different calibration part numbers, and that might be the displaying/hiding the seat heat buttons. Shall we try that one?

Usually the HMI is where that is but sometimes the BCM turns that on too :).  I can get both either way.

ok, programming the new file in right now. Let's see what happens.

But comparing the files, on the left is what you gave me (unzipped), on the right is the spsCache saved after I reprogrammed the BCM with SPS earlier today. I expected them to be identical, why are they different? This seems to be the case for all files. 

spsCacheInternal 1G1FY6S00M4109519 BCM.zipI attached it just in case.

image.png.e4264051ad0d375447264695c1e01755.png

image.png

New file got programmed in, I was in Service Mode (if it matters), but same issue remains.
1) CEL is on, with an unclearable code about drive motor position sensor unlearned.
2) Park lights come on by default

Now putting the other (factory) file in. Is it normal to see all these Padding Errors?

• Contributors
8 minutes ago, Crocodile said:

ok, programming the new file in right now. Let's see what happens.

But comparing the files, on the left is what you gave me (unzipped), on the right is the spsCache saved after I reprogrammed the BCM with SPS earlier today. I expected them to be identical, why are they different? This seems to be the case for all files. 

spsCacheInternal 1G1FY6S00M4109519 BCM.zipI attached it just in case.

image.png.e4264051ad0d375447264695c1e01755.png

image.png

I wouldn't use Notepad++ to compare these files, it'll try auto detecting encoding, etc and these are binary :).  Use a hex editor if you can.  All files will be identical except 42713102 (powertrain).  

For example, 42713100:

image.png.953027fcae69ae29f1f6d08c68be1731.png

• Contributors
5 minutes ago, Crocodile said:

New file got programmed in, I was in Service Mode (if it matters), but same issue remains.
1) CEL is on, with an unclearable code about drive motor position sensor unlearned.
2) Park lights come on by default

Now putting the other (factory) file in. Is it normal to see all these Padding Errors?

The padding errors, no.  

It's *very* possible that BCM programming reset a few things.  On my vehicle for example, I have to re-learn the brake pedal position each time I do a full BCM load (which is what you'd be doing).  There's two ways, you can do this through GDS2 under BCM then the Learn options or I'll try to go get you a T4 app for it.  I haven't worked on electric but that's my guess.  I'll go get the T4 app so you can run that.  If I'm right, you'll have the same issues with even the factory file.  I'll get the other part right now.