Welcome To CameraLoops

Take a moment to join and become a member

GM SDR DPS VIN Change file

TheZek

Go to solution Solved by TheZek,

I have a friend that has a 2014 Regal that needs a new SDR module, and he's acquired a replacement, GM Part number 13596602, and I have one, part number 13593290 out of a 2015 Sonic. The interchange for these parts cross over to the Malibu as well, which it has been stated can't be changed... Is it known if the issue is in Malibu specific calibrations, or is it likely to apply to all vehicles that use that family of SDR modules? Obviously, we don't want to buy the file if it won't work - is there a way to determine if it'll work or not prior to purchase?

Hi, If the used SDM is from a Regal, I believe those SDM VIN can be changed. The European Insignia which is same car as the USA Buick Regal, the VIN and PIN can be changed no problems. The issue is with the Malibu and some of the other GM vehicles where the VIN can’t be changed due to the SDM firmware not allowing it. It’s a firmware restriction and not the calibration files. 

So like I mentioned, the one I have in my hands is out of a Sonic, but I don't know what the one he has was out of. His car is a Regal, in which the SDM just died it seems. Would 'Get Controller Info' provide enough information to determine if if can or can't be changed?

The only way I know to tell is to create the vin change file for that specific SDM, run it, then check the dps response log codes. It may work and it may not work. 

• Solution

Ok, so I've read where you say 'Without having the calibration files for your SDM I won't be able to figure out the issue'... Is there a way for DPS to read the calibration out of the module as a BIN to A) determine if it can or can't be changed, and B) if it can't be changed, determine why and maybe how to get around it and benefit more people? I'm hope you can understand my hesitation when we're in that specific niche where it might not work... We don't really know if it's specifically the Malibu, or if it's the hardware that the Malibu uses, which is shared across other models... 

• Contributors

Dps cannot download calibrations. @Troy explain clearly, but you do not understand probably…file for VIN change has to be created and executed - then if module fail to reVIN to be inspected programming logs to see what fail…module or firmware restriction. And at last…about interchanging parts I highly recommend to stick to EPC. 

• Like 1

Troy didn't entirely 'explain clearly' (part of it being 'The issue is with the Malibu and some of the other GM vehicles' - kind of ambiguous - 'Other GM vehicles' kinda leaves things wide open....) - he gave a fairly quick response, which is fine with the limited data I had to offer at the time. And I don't know exactly what you meant by 'about interchanging parts I highly recommend to stick to EPC.', but I assume by 'EPC', you mean 'Electronics Parts Catalog'? Either way, all of the parts I've mentioned ARE interchangeable. Confirmed long before posting here.

That being said, I've 'made contact' with the SDR module I have out of the sonic, and gotten more info from my friend with the Regal that needs a new SDR module.

The interchangeable SDR Modules for the Sonic, Regal and Malibu all share the same Operating System 'tree'. 

They all go (from oldest to newest): 

13585279 13588144 > 13591915 > 13593283 > 13596603

The one I have out of the Sonic is at 13593283 as it apparently was never updated to the latest revision. That's where things diverge. 

On the Regal, both 2014 (his car) and 2016 (the replacement SDR he obtained) (I'd assume 2014-2016 at minimum though), for the 'System' are:

22904559 23190822 > 23435894

For 'Calibration', they're:

23180318 23134048

For the Malibu, the 'System' is only 23180317, and 'Calibration' is 23180318 23134048

For the Sonic, the 'System' is only '95297801' and 'Calibration' is just '95316340'. 

I'm sure Troy has seen a lot more than any of us with regards to this, and this information may be helpful to figure out where the issue lies - for example, if he's seen a Buick Regal (or the European variant) SDR module with OS 13596603 (or any of the OSes listed above) and 'System' calibration 23435894 work, but on the other hand, he's seen Malibu's with OS 13596603 (or, again, any of the OSes listed above) and 'System' 23180317 not work, I think it's fair to say that the block isn't in the 'Operating System' segment, but is in either the 'System' or 'Calibration' segments. On the flip side, if nothing with any of the OS versions above has worked (all have failed), well, we're screwed and don't have an option but try to find a brand new module.... which might be about like trying to find hens teeth. As I said before, I would hope you can understand how we're hesitant to drop the coin on it with the uncertainty. I doubt there's a 'Money back guarantee', which, I mean, I kinda get. The block may well be with the Malibu calibrations, for whatever reason, in which case it would have to be in the 'System' or 'Calibration' segment, or it could be in the OS segment and affect all vehicles that use this module and share the same OSes. 

If we KNEW FOR SURE it was going to work, the coin would have been dropped already. He REALLY wants to get this fixed, and I want to help him fix it, It's just that this same module is shared with the Malibu, the Malibus are apparently known to not allow the change, and it doesn't seem to be known where the block is. 

That all being said... If we get some intel from Troy (or some other person who has bought and used the SDR VIN reset), and it's determined that it WILL work for those OS versions and it is in fact in the system or calibration segments, or if my friend says 'screw it, I'm buying it, let's try it', is this a custom file for a specific module, or will it work for any SDR (assuming it's not blocked like the Malibu)? The reason I ask that is twofold: first, the idea was to test it on the module I have here that I don't care about and will never be used again (He doesn't have the hardware to do it, I do), and if it works, either he sends me his SDR and I change the VIN for him and send it back or I send him my MDI2 and remotely work him through it, and second, I've read comments where apparently it didn't work and the person commented as such, and the response was essentially 'It'll still work with others though', suggesting that it's not written for a specific SDR, and if another instance were to come up, the purchaser could use it again.

Apparently I can't edit my post... so I noticed after my last post that apparently, the Malibu and Regal share the 'Calibration' segment (23180318 23134048)... That being said, if the issue is in the 'Calibration' segment, we're still screwed... unless the VIN  change will work with the Sonic module I have, and we can then reprogram it with the proper calibrations for his Regal....

• Contributors

If part number is correct for target vehicle, but need just reVIN and loading correct calibrations for vehicle is easy job. I have lot experience do replacing parts from one model to other if PN match. But I have use different methods. As page is @Troy ownership I will not share any of it because will be in violation. As I say only important is PN to match. Doesn’t matter from what vehicle come. And again @Troy explain clearly what him can do for you. Bear in mind my English is limited and might my post look odd or sound wrong, but hope you put some effor and understood what I want to say.