Jump to content

Welcome To CameraLoops

Take a moment to join and become a member

How to change VIN & PIN in GM ECM/ECU Modules Using The DPS Tool

As they say, never give up. Whenever you face a brick wall, frustrated with nowhere to turn, eat some food, get some rest, and then tread on some more. The ECM VIN and PIN change via DPS have had me baffled for some time. Today I had another go at it, and after drinking seven cans of Redbull and a lot of thinking, I solved the puzzle/hack.

Changing the VIN and PIN in a used secondhand GM ECM module is very important for those who want to recycle GM ECM modules. With this solution, you can achieve just that. At this moment, it only works for 2-Byte seed ECM modules. I have some 5-Byte ECM coming from the USA. Hopefully, I'll figure out the 5-Byte ECM VIN change with DPS when they arrive.

Watch the video below to see how quickly you can change the VIN in the ECM.

ECM VIN Change for Malibu, Insignia, and Buick Regal.

ECM PIN Change for Malibu, Insignia, and Buick Regal.

ECM VIN Change File Service

ECM PIN Change File Service

Troy

About The Author

Troy is a professional Artist, Photographer, Videographer, Musician and Creator with a love for arts, electronics, coding, hacking stuff, traveling, taking photos and creating internet content. He is also the founder of CameraLoops.com

Follow Me On Social Media

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• Contributors

Great video Troy as always… your tutorial mentions PIN too… does the calibration you’re loading just do away with pin change b/c I didn’t see anything extra for pin changing?

Link to comment

10 hours ago, DSLBURB said:

Hi, thanks. The ECM PIN change process is different from the ECM VIN change process. In the past it was possible to change the VIN and PIN in the other modules except for the ECM via DPS.

You can find more info on the PIN change process for the modules in the video and link below. The PIN change process for the ECM is the same as the other modules, just different DPS codes for the ECM.

Link to comment

This will be great. So 5 byte is only for USA? I have an 2014 Malibu I'm working on for a friend and we're trying to program a used pcm through techline connect and I just found out it's blocked by gm now. I used to be able to program used pcm a while back. Also the techline connect software is total shit man. Everytime they update it breaks the program bad. Currently I'm sitting inside the car and can't even get the program to start because it says it's missing updates and it refuses to download them. I'm just tired of gm with this stupid stuff. They can't even get their programming tools correct. I'll have to tell my friend to order a program ecm. I wish I would've seen this before paying gm for a subscription I can't use. Just want to clarify if this works for USA Malibu or just UK?

Link to comment

3 hours ago, warriorpluto said:

It works on both the USA and UK Malibu. At the moment, it only works for 2-Byte seed ECM, and not for 5-Byte ECM. I find when TLC has issues, I use the control panel to uninstall all the GM and bosh applications and then reinstall TLC.

Link to comment

• Contributors

excellent work, it must be a huge thrill to unravel a hard puzzle like this after some time.

• Thanks 1
    Link to comment

On 3/24/2023 at 11:01 AM, Troy said:

ok ill give your files a go very soon to try out. but man everytime that tlc program updates it breaks something. this on on the latest windows 10 with only tlc installed and nothing else. i was fooling with it in the heat and fighting mosquitos and weird bugs outside. i had gave up because i love to give my children time everyday and just told my friend to order a programmed pcm. he just wantes the car to be able to move since someone stole his pcm. i had gm to refund me my money for wasted time. im always programming malibus so ill be purchasing from you very soon.

Link to comment

• Contributors
    On 3/27/2023 at 6:00 PM, warriorpluto said:

who steals a dudes pcm, what a stinker!!!

Link to comment

Yep, here in England, in a place called Birmingham, a lot of people are getting their car bonnets and front bumpers stolen. One lady went to a concert, and on returning, her car bonnet and bumper were gone. It's kind of weird what's going on. They blame it on the Corona virus🙂

Link to comment

• Contributors

I need help changing the vin in a 18 silverado ECM got the cali file installed but sps wont change the Vin

Link to comment

• Contributors
    45 minutes ago, Troy said:

No not possible with DPS.

46 minutes ago, Troy said:

No not possible with DPS.

@Troy thanks. Is there any software you have that can do this?

Link to comment

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra E86b ecm 2byte.  Is it possible to change ecm pin? I have truck pin and I have donor ecm pin as well.

Link to comment