Jump to content

Welcome To CameraLoops

Take a moment to join and become a member

How to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPC

How to manually change the EPROM PIN code and VIN number in an 8-inches Insignia instrument cluster.

This tutorial shows how to change the VIN number and security pin number stored in the IPC EPROM chip.
    Tools you will need

• Soldering iron and solder.
    • A hot air rework station or solder wick for removing the EPROM chip.
    • A chip programming device. I use the GQ-4X Willem Programmer
    • A hex editor. I use Synalyze Pro for Apple Mac

The process is very straight forward.

• Take apart the IPC and remove the circuit board.
    • Remove the 8-pin soic EPROM chip.
    • Place the EPROM chip in the chip programmer.
    • Read the chip and save the chip's .bin file.
    • Open the .bin file in a hex editor.
    • Find the location of the VIN and four-digit PIN code.
    • Change the VIN and PIN code to the ones from your car.
    • Save the edited .bin file.
    • Use the chip programmer to write the edited .bin file onto the EPROM chip.
    • Solder the EPROM chip back to the circuit board.

After doing this, the car's mileage will display correctly on the IPC unit.

You will now be able to program the IPC unit via GM online SPS using your cars original four-digit pin code.
    You will receive an IPC DTC error from GDS2, which states "Incorrect Immobilizer Identifier Received"
    To eliminate this DTC error, you will need to use GM's online SPS immobilizer learn to delete your car's keys and relearn your car's keys.

There's a much faster method for changing the VIN number in the instrument cluster using GM DPS software.

However if you want to change the four-digit PIN code the cheap way, you will need to remove the EPROM chip to do it.

This process can also be used to change the VIN and PIN in the BCM module and the four inch IPC EPROM chip.

VIN number location in the hex editor.

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 9.52.09 pm.png

Four-digit PIN code number location in the hex editor.

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 9.52.54 pm.png

Circuit Board.

How to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPC

Troy

About The Author

Troy is a professional Artist, Photographer, Videographer, Musician and Creator with a love for arts, electronics, coding, hacking stuff, traveling, taking photos and creating internet content. He is also the founder of CameraLoops.com

• Like 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Jesus Ruben Molina Garcia

Posted

Hi Troy, is possible to change pin code with GM DPS?

or the pin code only can be change with reading and modify  eprom?

1 hour ago, Jesus Ruben Molina Garcia said:

Hi Troy, is possible to change pin code with GM DPS?

or the pin code only can be change with reading and modify  eprom?

Not that I know of. Maybe it's possible with DPS but I don't know.

Link to comment

Hi I used clon UPA- USB V1.3 programmer with clip and don't need remove chip from the board on 8" ipc, to change pin and vin, and working on BCM too, maybe somebody needed

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M Ch said:

Wonder if this will work on USA Denali cluster? I have the VIN programmed but I'm still getting dashes for my mileage.  I need the PIN from my original cluster right? So the PCB board itself attaches to this tool?

Link to comment

Hi I'm not sure what eeprom you have on your cluster, you need to try, I'm from UK, I know is working on astra H and zabira B CIM module, without removing chip also

• Contributors
    plcautoparts

Posted

On 7/24/2021 at 9:06 AM, justin101714 said:

Hello Justin did you ever get you issue solved with vin change and lines on the odometer?

On 10/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, M Ch said:

hi all

I just SPS Reseting my new IPC 8'' from 2016, if someone need

IPC 2016 8'' SPS RESET.bin 2 kB · 5 downloads

You driving 2016 insignia with VIN ending 32514.? Or its just donor Vin number?

Edited by Ernestas Dikinis

hi

TROY- yes reset mean online SPS- prepare to remove

Ernestas Dikinis- no I'M not driving that car, my is from 2014

oryginal VIN on eeprom from 2016 insignia part no. 39066389 is on ebay to sell

• Like 1
    Link to comment

Hi @troy. Can we change the number miles on eeprom BCM?

5 hours ago, Hero Tran said:

Hi @troy. Can we change the number miles on eeprom BCM?

Hi, yes its possible to change the miles in BCM eprom chip dump file.

You can use this app to do the mileage calculation.

PECKYS-DECODER.COM

Online Vauxhall & Opel module decoder. Load in your EEPROM dump and discover the encoded contects such as security code. Some modules can be reset...

• Love-it 1
    Link to comment

Why change PIN code? I don't understand change it for what. Can anyone explain PIN code mean for me? Thanks

Link to comment

Hey guys I removed my eeprom, edited the VIN number but there was no security code. I just assumed who ever had modded the IPC first time round may have deleted it out. After installing back into the car the IPC did not update the mileage and had reset back to stock losing all the themes and menus. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

Cheers 👌

47 minutes ago, Bushy Beard said:

Cheers 👌

I don’t know what went wrong, however you can use the xml files method to change vin, change RPO codes and change the model designator, the model designator code is what activate the different themes.
    Check this topic and see the first video for xml files tutorial.

Link to comment

Thanks Troy, I forgot to say this is in a prefaclift. I will check the video still 👌

Link to comment

It states PIN code is 1314.

Weird' I don't see the VIN Number.

Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 9.26.30 am.png

Hey @Troy

I think it maybe the hex editor I'm using which is why I don't see the security code. I opened this one you did and I cant see the 1314.

Ive attached my bin file and screen shot of what I see if you don't mind looking.

Cheers

Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 15.38.54.png

2016 VXR Cluster in 2011.bin

On 4/10/2022 at 3:41 PM, Bushy Beard said:

Hey @Troy

Cheers

Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 15.38.54.png

2016 VXR Cluster in 2011.bin

Same here, I see the vin but no PIN.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 12.12.39 pm.png

• Like 1

Lyubomir Krastanov

Posted

On 4/12/2022 at 12:14 PM, Troy said:

Same here, I see the vin but no PIN.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 12.12.39 pm.png

it because is modified 8" for preface with different eeprom.

• Like 1