Jump to content

Welcome To CameraLoops

Take a moment to join and become a member

    How to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPC

    PIN and VIN can also be changed in the IPC electronically using the GM DPS tool and my custom DPS PIN and VIN change files. See the service below.

    PIN and VIN change DPS files service.

     

     

    How to manually change the EPROM PIN code and VIN number in an 8-inches Insignia instrument cluster.
    This tutorial shows how to change the VIN number and security pin number stored in the IPC EPROM chip.
    Tools you will need

    • Soldering iron and solder.
    • A hot air rework station or solder wick for removing the EPROM chip.
    • A chip programming device. I use the GQ-4X Willem Programmer
    • A hex editor. I use Synalyze Pro for Apple Mac

     

    The process is very straight forward.

    • Take apart the IPC and remove the circuit board.
    • Remove the 8-pin soic EPROM chip.
    • Place the EPROM chip in the chip programmer.
    • Read the chip and save the chip's .bin file.
    • Open the .bin file in a hex editor.
    • Find the location of the VIN and four-digit PIN code.
    • Change the VIN and PIN code to the ones from your car.
    • Save the edited .bin file. 
    • Use the chip programmer to write the edited .bin file onto the EPROM chip.
    • Solder the EPROM chip back to the circuit board.

     

    After doing this, the car's mileage will display correctly on the IPC unit.

    You will now be able to program the IPC unit via GM online SPS using your cars original four-digit pin code.
    You will receive an IPC DTC error from GDS2, which states "Incorrect Immobilizer Identifier Received"
    To eliminate this DTC error, you will need to use GM's online SPS immobilizer learn to delete your car's keys and relearn your car's keys.

    There's a much faster method for changing the VIN number in the instrument cluster using GM DPS software.

    However if you want to change the four-digit PIN code the cheap way, you will need to remove the EPROM chip to do it.

    This process can also be used to change the VIN and PIN in the BCM module and the four inch IPC EPROM chip.

     

     

    VIN number location in the hex editor.

    Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 9.52.09 pm.png

     

     

    Four-digit PIN code number location in the hex editor.

    Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 9.52.54 pm.png

     

     

    Circuit Board.

    How to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPCHow to change EPROM PIN code and VIN number in GM's instrument cluster IPC


    Share This Article



    Troy

    About The Author

    Troy is a professional Artist, Photographer, Videographer, Musician and Creator with a love for arts, electronics, coding, hacking stuff, traveling, taking photos and creating internet content. He is also the founder of CameraLoops.com

    Follow Me On Social Media


    • Like 6

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Jesus Ruben Molina Garcia

    Posted

    Hi Troy, is possible to change pin code with GM DPS? 
     

    or the pin code only can be change with reading and modify  eprom?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Jesus Ruben Molina Garcia said:

    Hi Troy, is possible to change pin code with GM DPS? 
     

    or the pin code only can be change with reading and modify  eprom?

     

     

    Not that I know of. Maybe it's possible with DPS but I don't know.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hi I used clon UPA- USB V1.3 programmer with clip and don't need remove chip from the board on 8" ipc, to change pin and vin, and working on BCM too, maybe somebody needed

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    19 hours ago, M Ch said:

    Hi I used clon UPA- USB V1.3 programmer with clip and don't need remove chip from the board on 8" ipc, to change pin and vin, and working on BCM too, maybe somebody needed

    Wonder if this will work on USA Denali cluster? I have the VIN programmed but I'm still getting dashes for my mileage.  I need the PIN from my original cluster right? So the PCB board itself attaches to this tool?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hi I'm not sure what eeprom you have on your cluster, you need to try, I'm from UK, I know is working on astra H and zabira B CIM module, without removing chip also 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • Contributors
    plcautoparts

    Posted

    On 7/24/2021 at 9:06 AM, justin101714 said:

    Wonder if this will work on USA Denali cluster? I have the VIN programmed but I'm still getting dashes for my mileage.  I need the PIN from my original cluster right? So the PCB board itself attaches to this tool?

    Hello Justin did you ever get you issue solved with vin change and lines on the odometer?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    hi

    TROY- yes reset mean online SPS- prepare to remove 

    Ernestas Dikinis- no I'M not driving that car, my is from 2014

    oryginal VIN on eeprom from 2016 insignia part no. 39066389 is on ebay to sell

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    5 hours ago, Hero Tran said:

    Hi @troy. Can we change the number miles on eeprom BCM?

    Hi, yes its possible to change the miles in BCM eprom chip dump file. 

    You can use this app to do the mileage calculation.

    PECKYS-DECODER.COM

    Online Vauxhall & Opel module decoder. Load in your EEPROM dump and discover the encoded contects such as security code. Some modules can be reset...

     

    • Love-it 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • Contributors

    Why change PIN code? I don't understand change it for what. Can anyone explain PIN code mean for me? Thanks

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hey guys I removed my eeprom, edited the VIN number but there was no security code. I just assumed who ever had modded the IPC first time round may have deleted it out. After installing back into the car the IPC did not update the mileage and had reset back to stock losing all the themes and menus. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

     

    Cheers 👌

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 4/2/2022 at 2:55 PM, Bushy Beard said:

    Hey guys I removed my eeprom, edited the VIN number but there was no security code. I just assumed who ever had modded the IPC first time round may have deleted it out. After installing back into the car the IPC did not update the mileage and had reset back to stock losing all the themes and menus. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

     

    Cheers 👌

    I don’t know what went wrong.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

     

     

    It states PIN code is 1314.

    Weird' I don't see the VIN Number.

    Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 9.26.30 am.png

     

     

    Hey @Troy

     

    I think it maybe the hex editor I'm using which is why I don't see the security code. I opened this one you did and I cant see the 1314. 

     

    Ive attached my bin file and screen shot of what I see if you don't mind looking.

     

    Cheers

    Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 15.38.54.png

    2016 VXR Cluster in 2011.bin

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 4/10/2022 at 3:41 PM, Bushy Beard said:

    Hey @Troy

     

    I think it maybe the hex editor I'm using which is why I don't see the security code. I opened this one you did and I cant see the 1314. 

     

    Ive attached my bin file and screen shot of what I see if you don't mind looking.

     

    Cheers

    Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 15.38.54.png

    2016 VXR Cluster in 2011.bin

     

     

    Same here, I see the vin but no PIN.

    Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 12.12.39 pm.png

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • Contributors
    Lyubomir Krastanov

    Posted

    On 4/12/2022 at 12:14 PM, Troy said:

     

     

    Same here, I see the vin but no PIN.

    Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 12.12.39 pm.png

    it because is modified 8" for preface with different eeprom.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • Contributors
    pistnbroke

    Posted

    Hi everyone, another helpful read thanks for the sharing and brain sparkers Troy, I've been experimenting with this method on an Astra J cluster for a while, in principle it went well and GDS2 straight away showed the correct vin etc but the mileage continued to show dashes, I did see GDS2 showed Odometer lock status as 'active' whereas as on a working cluster that showed as 'inactive' . After hours of head scratching I've finally got it working and If its any help to anyone at all just shout and I'll get a screenshot uploaded of the byte that caused the headache (for me anyway). Can I ask though would the DPS tool to reset the vin have taken care of that odometer lock status active if it was present, or would the eeprom always have needed manually editing to clear it..? Thanks again..

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • Contributors
    pistnbroke

    Posted

    If its of any help to anyone, in my case the highlighted byte is what caused the mileage to still display dashes even after the VIN and PIN were successfully changed. 
    01 = Odometer Lock Status 'Active'  -  dashes are displayed on the bench or in the car.
    00 = Odometer Lock Status 'Inactive'  -  last known mileage is displayed on the bench and correct current mileage read from the BCM is displayed in the car.

    2013AstraJeeprom.jpg

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    20 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

    If its of any help to anyone, in my case the highlighted byte is what caused the mileage to still display dashes even after the VIN and PIN were successfully changed. 
    01 = Odometer Lock Status 'Active'  -  dashes are displayed on the bench or in the car.
    00 = Odometer Lock Status 'Inactive'  -  last known mileage is displayed on the bench and correct current mileage read from the BCM is displayed in the car.

    2013AstraJeeprom.jpg

     

    Cool info. Thanks for sharing.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites




    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • New Images

  • Top Members

    1. Troy (4344),
    2. +Lyubomir Krastanov (464),
    3. +codebuilder (281),
    4. +Arbe_gtc (230),
    5. +LLCasaol (147)
  • Popular Members

    Troy

    Troy

    10
    Arbe_gtc

    +Arbe_gtc

    4
    codebuilder

    +codebuilder

    4
    NDCharlie

    +NDCharlie

    3
  • WHAT'S NEW

    New Topics

    New Posts

    New Files

    New Members

    • David Baima

      David Baima

        Members
        Joined
    • Mike Frazier

      Mike Frazier

        Members
        Joined
    • Andrei_ch

      Andrei_ch

        Members
        Joined
    • Abdzer

      Abdzer

        Members
        Joined
    • James Lenamon

      James Lenamon

        Members
        Joined
    • Dawot Afghan

      Dawot Afghan

        Members
        Joined
    • Illia Denysevych

      Illia Denysevych

        Members
        Joined
    • Naqeeb

      Naqeeb

        Members
        Joined
    • smith toms

      smith toms

        Members
        Joined
    • stensin

      stensin

        Members
        Joined
  • Member Statistics

    3,270
    Total Members
    815
    Most Online
    David Baima
    Newest Member
    David Baima
    Joined


×
×
  • Create New...