Jump to content

Welcome To Cameraloops

Take a moment to join and become a member

How to activate remote start and change VIN number in GM's instrument cluster BMC

In order to activate remote start on GM vehicles you need:

1. Find VIN car("new VIN"), which have remote start options (PRO code BTV).

2. Update firmware for BCM from SPS with "new VIN".

3. Change VIN in BCM from "new VIN" to your original VIN in order to odometer shows correct data. For this you need cheap CH341A EEPROM tool like this.

USB BIOS EEPROM SPI FLASH Programmer CH341A 24 25 series

The following video show you how to setup the chip reader and program the chip.

BCM block.

IMG_20210503_105725.thumb.jpg.639a0a395b8b41bcdb60241da0100809.jpg

Chip location.

1319435397_IMG_20210503_115542(2).thumb.jpg.c6b601e867cdaa0ed3b6076a7dca2474.jpg

1113832941_IMG_20210503_115548(3).thumb.jpg.0f819d95317e386a92453772edb75c6b.jpg

It would probably be best to first make a backup of the chip in case anything goes wrong. Then you can view the contents of the chip. In the software, the left side of the screen shows the actual program, which is displayed in Hexadecimal numbers. The right side shows a translation in plain text.

On the right side, look for a string of numbers that look like a VIN. It is usually only a few lines down from the top. It is always missing the first number of the VIN. Replace it with your VIN (minus the first number) by simply highlighting each letter on the right side and typing in your VIN. Then program back the chip and you’re done.

1620742504_Screenshot2021-06-01134750.jpg.9d5a7d5cd0e501b347796d1cd8c8369a.jpg

• Cool 2
    • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thanks for your tutorial. I've now bought a 433mhz Cadillac CT6 5 button key from USA.

I read they will work on Insignia-A cars.

Hopefully all goes well when I receive it.

Awesome Well Done GIF

2019-cadillac-ct6-smart-proxy-keyless-entry-remote-5.jpg

Link to comment

No luck with remote start for me.

I got Cadillac remote start key. The key unlock all doors but will only start the car via push button if the key is place in the armrest key pocket.

If the key is on the seat the car won't start like the original key.

I got a copy of USA Buick regal BCM calibration files and program it my BCM. However, no remote start, no boot open via remote key, and the car windows doesn't work. lol.

I may need to dissect the BCM calibration package which is a lot of files 20 I think, to find out which calibration file is the one that activate remote start then compile that file with my original BCM calibration package.

I may have to leave this until I have some good free time.

Photos of the remote start option display on my screen.

IMG_5076.jpgIMG_5077.jpg

4 hours ago, Anders Johansson said:

What engine do you have? In case you are running a diesel, then you have to activate Remote Start also in the ECM.

It's a 1.6 SIDI turbo petrol engine.

8 hours ago, Troy said:

It's a 1.6 SIDI turbo petrol engine.

My knowledge on the petrol engines is limited but for the EDC17 you have to activate remote start in the software. It's just a matter of changing one 0 to a 1. In case you have possibility to read out the CAN messages on the HS-bus, then you can see if the remote start command is forwarded from the BCM or not. Would that be an option?

On 7/24/2021 at 9:06 PM, Troy said:

No luck with remote start for me.

If the key is on the seat the car won't start like the original key.

I may have to leave this until I have some good free time.

Photos of the remote start option display on my screen.

IMG_5076.jpgIMG_5077.jpg

I bought a copy of the same key from aliexpress. It was successfully stitched into the car. All functions work, including Keyless. The only problem is that it is not stable. Sometimes the car loses it, but this is rare

20210723_004102.jpg

On 8/2/2021 at 6:10 PM, pronin272 said:

20210723_004102.jpg

Hi on a insignia a ? looking to buy the same

On 8/2/2021 at 4:36 AM, Anders Johansson said:

Could you let me know how to activate Remote Vehicle Start in ECM? I have GM vehicle with A20DTH (EDC17C59) Engine.

Is it achievable via modifying DID $40 (3 bytes ECU Variant configuration) in ECM?

Link to comment

I currently have 2015 Caddilac SRX 2015 v6 3.6 with RS enabled, same key you've got! in case, you would want to compare yours to the way it should be. Would that help?

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:05 PM, JBL_1989 said:

Are you familiar with modifying binaries for engine control systems? The name of the variable is StSys_stRVSSel_C and you should change it from 0 to 1 if you want to activate Remote Vehicle Start.

19 hours ago, Anders Johansson said:

Actually I'm not familiar with modifying ECM binary. but I did modified StSys_stRVSSel_C (offset 0x9787A) in 55490821 and corrected checksum (CRC-16) at 1st and 2nd byte of CAL and tried to flash it to ECM using DPS. finally I got failed. LOL :)

Symptom I when got flashing modified CAL: DPS tried to flash 55490821 twice. and finally it returns error and cannot start engine by pressing start btn.

(I flashed modified CAL data using DPS and also managed to recover bricked ECM using DPS with stock CAL data file)

Anything I missed points during modification?)

I also want to modify some calibration in BCM but I couldn't obtain original CAL data from SPS. (because CAL data is already up to date, no download CAL data from SPS made😞)

Thank you!

On 8/12/2021 at 7:36 AM, JBL_1989 said:

Anything I missed points during modification?)

Thank you!

I've never loaded new software to the ECM using DPS so I can't assist you on that part unfortunately. I would suggest using PCMflash instead. The checksum calculation is a bit of a tricky area when it comes to GMs versions of EDC17.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:22 AM, Anders Johansson said:

Finally I've modified ECM 0x0B77FA from 0x00 to 0x01 with Checksum correction. (by pcmflash) but it gave me a DTC with SVS indication. P160D-01 (Incorrect Engine Calibration Detected - Short to Battery) and ECM aborted crank for RVS (indicated in BCM remote vehicle start disabled data). 😞

Engine can be started by pressing engine start button but engine power is reduced. 😞

Is there anything I missed points during modification?)

TC1767_1037543062P946_OF2-20210906-214141_RVS_CS.bin

On 8/15/2021 at 2:22 AM, Anders Johansson said:

update: DTC P160D can be disabled by changing 0x00 on 0x23124, 0x23171 and no longer reduced engine power. but ECM still rejecting remote vehicle start request from BCM 😞

Modified)

0x23124 >> 0x00 (DFES_Cls.DFC_CodVarEngIdChk)

0x23171 >> 0x00 (DFES_Cls.DFC_Tprot_Rttp_Err_C)

0x032D32 and 0x032D33 >> 0xFFFF (DFC_DisblMsk.DFC_CodVarEngIdChkErr_C)

0x032DCC and 0x032DCD >> 0xFFFF (DFC_DisblMsk.DFC_Tprot_Rttp_Err_C)

0x0B77FA >> 0x01 (StSys.stRVSSel_C)

TC1767_1037543062P946_OF2-20210906-214141_MOD_CS.bin

Link to comment

Update: after enabling RVS flag in SIA (Supervisor Immobilizer Authority) section I can see ECM reacts with RVS request. but not fully started and crank aborted, too(

sometimes aborted without starter activation, sometimes starter activated only 1 sec.

DTC in ECM was P0513-00. (this DTC is not displayed when engine was started by push button)

RVS Disable reason in BCM was ... 'Engine Control Module Crank Abort' or 'Engine Stalled'